Sunday, December 9, 2007

Abu Dhabi

5 December 2007

08:36


It takes almost exactly two hours from Dubai. It was a public transport but I guess there's not much of a difference with private transport. It's actually the first time I rode the bus since I got here this November. The first time I went out of the community where I live. Not much adjustments since everything is already kind of familiar. But the bus is something new, at least to me. The monitor overhead shows the time of the day and the succeeding stops. I guess this is intended for people (and I guess there are a lot of them here) who are not very familiar with the bus routes.



I didn't know that Abu Dhabi is actually the capital of the seven emirates until just recently. Ever since I learned about this, I keep on wondering why it seems (at least based on what I know) that Dubai is more popular than A.D. This is the time to find it out, I guess.


I had the opportunity to take pictures from the bus. On the way, I couldn't help but notice the mosques that sprawl at the sides of the highway. I guess it's true that the UAE's dream (if they haven't yet accomplished) is to have mosques every 500 meters. I tried to take as many pictures of mosques as I could (was hard since the bus is moving at an average of 60kph) and I chose this as the best of them.



Below, I have this picture below that amazes me in some way. I am still wondering whether it's the sun or the moon that I captured here. It was 1 in the afternoon and it was hard to conclude which of them is this. You might have conclusions of your own… please let me know.



Anyway, this trip is both pleasure and business. Joyce has been inviting me since day 1 on my first trip here but I kept on holding it for later until there was no time because I've gotten a very demanding job. This time, I promised myself that I'd see her as soon as I can by the time I get back. And I did. It is very reassuring that these friends I have (like her) calls me almost every day to make sure that things are okay on my side. So, we did schedule the trip in time for her second kid's first birthday, and we did it a week earlier. This gave me enough time to entertain interviews in time for my trip. That way, no time is wasted. But as I said, I guess I wasn't lucky enough but it's okay. I guess things are not meant to be.


I didn't have the opportunity to take pictures until a few days after. I had two interviews Wednesday and Joyce is busy with her work and at the same time preparing last-minute tasks for the occasion. It was Thursday when she finally took me to a trip I guess to the most popular landmark of A.D. - the Emirates Palace.




Yes, the pictures are the best I have right now. We are in her car and we couldn't make the stop we wanted to make pictures. But that's okay. I know that in my mind, I have a picture of what I've seen and it would stay there. People say that this is the seven-star hotel of A.D. to match or rival Dubai's Burj al Arab. They say that there are rooms here that have gold ornaments and what-nots that's why access to it very restricted. From where I've been, the palace is not as high as the Burj al Arab but the land area it occupies is really huge. And the structure is really amazing.


From what I saw, I think there is no point of comparison between the Emirates Palace and the Burj al Arab. They are both breath-taking structures that continue to fascinate me. They are both a beauty in their own ways. An imagination brought to life; a dream that is realized.


The corniche (this is what the road by the sea or shore is called) is also amazing. It was a park that is so peaceful and the view is spectacular. Funny thing is, I have been taking a lot of sunsets recently and this trip was also during sunset so I had a glimpse of A.D.'s setting sun. Yes, the sun isn't here anymore, but I guess I still captured the feeling.




I gave this post the title Abu Dhabi I because I am hoping to go back again whenever I will have the chance. Yes, I found out that A.D. is a nice place. It is true that it is laid back, quiet, clean - a lot different from Dubai. I'd probably take a job here in the future when opportunity allows me.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts