Sunday, December 9, 2007

My Fortress

21:39


I had a very good sleep last night, probably because of the fact that I wouldn't be worrying about job hunting anymore. This time, I think I deserve a break so I decided to go to my favorite place here. I left our house at about 12 and took me about 20 minutes of waiting before bus number 3 finally came. Since it was about time for me to get a monthly bus card, I went straight to the Bur Dubai station. This is actually where one can start walking along the creek. But there was an entry point that I discovered today. The view of the creek is actually breath-taking. You can see the life of people here in Dubai. This creek divides Dubai and an abra (what they called the boat transport) is what you take to cross the creek to get you to the city center. A bus ride would actually take about 15 minutes and can take even an hour if there's heavy traffic. But a ride on an abra would take about five minutes and you get to have a feel of Dubai's culture.


There's actually a painter who had an exhibit in an art gallery where my room mate used to work. The artist is Niamh Cunningham and the gallery's name is Art Attack. I am not sure if you can have a glimpse at the gallery's website on the works of Cunningham but let me link you to it by clicking here. You might think that my succeeding photos are inspired by this. Actually, half no and half yes. If you would visit this link, you would find out that I tried taking some photos from the creek during one of my previous visits. But I do love this place and would want to discover it more. Now, I am sharing you pictures I have taken today.


Another Abra trip is a fall I had while walking towards the creek side. I fell on my hands while walking the uneven side walk and it wasn't really that bad. The thing was no one even helped me stood up. I was on my hands and was helping myself o get up and there were a lot of passersby. But, I do not find this strange. Because I take it that it might be a part of their culture not to touch ladies that are not related to them. There weren't any Filipinos around so no Kabayan was there that would help me stand for sure. So, off I go to walk again and the pain was gone after a while.



This was the point that I discovered today. It served as a resting place I guess for tired people or for some who are just letting the time pass by. For the tourist, I guess this is the starting point where you would see a large part of the creek.



This is what you'll see across that park. I am not really sure what's on this side of the creek but I plan to go there one of these days, probably not soon but I will, and hopefully with her.




This is an abra with a restaurant on board. You can take a two-hour trip on this boat for I think Dhs 150 which includes the food. I planned to go here when Sky visited here but unfortunately, the weather at that time was too hot for the both of us to handle.


As you walk along the creek, you'll see birds feeding on the shore. I know that these are doves but I do not quite know what were those white birds called. I find this view very relaxing.







The following photos are different views, angles of the creek and the abras. You will see the abras cross their paths as they make their way to and from each side of the creek. As Cunningham said in her exhibit, 'In Vivo - The Creek Series': "the term IN VIVO is the study of something within a living organism. For me that living organism is the Creek… of life and its activities within an urban setting of present day Dubai."







On the pictures below, the twin towers are called the Rolex towers. I have seen post cards of these towers. I guess it used to be one of Dubai's famous landmarks.





Also, one of those that I missed on my first trip here was the activities that happen along the creek. I didn't know that there were restaurants that thrive on the side of the creek and the view is also rather amazing. I've tried to peek at one of the resto's menu but I am quite apprehensive since I think it's mostly Arabic food on the list. It's not that I don't want to try. I just think that maybe not now.



Also, aside from the food, they also have sheesha as part of their tourist attraction. I was lucky at this time because the guy who makes the sheehsas was kind enough to pose for me.






Then, a few more yards would lead you to the old souk (market). This is my favorite place because it is rich with their culture. You will find here anything Arab. Since it soon would be winter, shawls and other winter clothes are on display and I think on sale. I was offered a shawl for as low as Dhs10. one of the rare crafts I saw is this man in the picture below. I think he is the only one who offers this service. I am not sure though if he makes sandals or just repairs broken ones. I believe it is one of the local crafts because I have seen a waxed image of craftsmen like him at the Dubai Museum.



The overall structure of this place is very much like the one you can find at the gold souk just across the creek. I am fascinated by the concept of the façade. You won't see this anymore anywhere else in Dubai. I think I feel like it is here where time stood still in Dubai. With all those high-rising, high-tech buildings I normally see on the streets, this is where I find the culture intact and retained.










Dubai continues to build. You can see constructions almost everywhere you look. There are still a lot of upcoming projects that right now are already remarkable though yet to be seen. At present, it houses the world's tallest building, the Burj Dubai standing at almost 180 meters high. I can't help but feel overwhelmed every time I see it, in almost every place here that I go to. But in spite of all this, I can't help but feel awe in this place that seems so serene, so laid back, so preserved. I guess they choose to preserve time here. And this is where you can get as close to their culture.




I find tranquility and peace whenever I am here in this place. Even though the buildings amaze me that God has given talents to those people who built it, I still feel closer to Him whenever I visit this place where I feel so close to him, and I am thankful that I have found such a place in this country.



I wonder if this man feels the same way I do…



Or if this local misses the way things used to be; or wishes that things stay the same (at least in this place called Abra) after all those development and changes that are happening in his country.

05 December 2007

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts