Tuesday, January 3, 2012

DudayMind: Post #6

[This is a late post. I didn't want to post something like this at the start of the year so I waited for a few days.]

This happened on the morning of the first day of the year. 

There was a sound just outside our gate and then someone said, "Mamasko po."

I looked out the door and saw two teens - about 13-15 years old - and I was surprised.  They were holding a box that I'm sure holds what they have collected and about to collect.

I was surprised!

I almost answered, "Ang lalaki 'nyo na!" But I held back and kept my mouth shut.  Instead, I said, "Sa iba na lang, mga totoy."  and watched them as they turned around and walked away.

Three houses after, they still didn't get anything.  

Yes, I was still watching them.  I guess I was trying to find out if they could get anything from my neighbors.  And I admit that I was sort of happy that they didn't.  That's because I was thinking it would discourage them from doing it again.  Or maybe right at that time, probably think of going home and stop what they were doing.

I walked back inside the house and back in front of the computer.  

Several hours later, I couldn't get over those two teens.  So, I got my notebook and pen and tried to write about them so that I could post it later on this blog.

I was thinking that they were too old and too big and too strong to ask for alms or beg for money - even if it's just for this season.  Naiinis ako kasi ang lalaki ng katawan nila.

But as I sat down and began to write, I started to have another thought which is more appalling than the first.  

"Should I (or you) be at least thankful that they are asking for money instead of taking the streets and start robbing?  Or mugging people - like what happened to my sister last year - in the middle of a dark street or even in broad daylight?  Or snatching jewelries and mobile phones while we ride jeeps and buses?

I feel sad because this could be true.

Because right at this moment, if those kids didn't 'hit their quota' that day, they would probably be thinking about doing either one of these things as I write this.  

2 comments:

Tita Beng said...

Hi Clara! There were lots of them here last Christmas and New Year. Some are even mothers (or pretending to be)who were tagging all their children asking for pamasko. I see your point there. At tama ka, nakakainis nga! But then, pasko naman eh kaya kahit little amount lang, binigyan ko na lang! I guess, it made them happy. At baka nakatulong na rin. Bahala na lang si Lord sa kanila kung paano nila ginamit.

Have a peaceful and enjoyable week! Be well and God bless!

Anonymous said...

meron nga dito, US pa ha.. when you're at seafood city, means you're in pinoy town.. may isang matanda nag approach sa amin, eh alamo naman we're not used to that kinda of service, sabi ng mama ko, 'kaya na namin to' pero fino-force pa rin nia kaming tulungan kahit ilang beses na namin sinabing wala kaming pera, eh totoo naman eh yung papa ko naman ang nag groceries, nagkataon na pumunta sa banyo yung papa ko kaya nauna na kami ng mama ko sa parking lot. i know its xmas season naman but u dont force us to give you a tip. have some courtesy naman.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts