Tuesday, June 8, 2010

All Those Violins

I am reading this book "Gomorrah," by Robert Saviano (you can find my comments here) and there is a part there I read yesterday which reminded me so much of what happened last November 23.

The Maguindanao Massacre happened the day I was operated that is why I will never forget that date. But even if it happened on other days, who would forget? We have seen much on t.v: the backhoe, the bodies, the pick-up, the car. Everything.

The book was about the other mafia in Italy. I was reading about the Camorra's weaponry and how their defense and security works not only for the clan, but also for the people who gives money to the clan - those drug users. They not only protect their empire but the people around them.

I guess it was the description of the weapons and how they work on their security that reminded me so much of the massacre. I guess all the spotlight was suddenly focused on the elections that's why updates and developments on the case hasn't been much on tv. I rarely see anything about the case for the past 2 or 3 months.

Will they ever show updates after this week? Well, the proclamation of our new president and vice president is due anytime this week. That's why I guess tv networks will now start looking for some juicy news to sensationalize. But I hope they would not forget to bring this case up again.

On other news, I kinda still keep track of some news from Dubai. Probably because I have made a few but worthwhile friendship there that I need to keep track of things that may or may not directly affect them.

Aside from updates with the Dubai Metro, nothing so far. But, I cannot help but notice the news about crimes. Mostly it's about prostitutes being hurt, if not killed, and of different races. But what caught my attention, too, is that the crimes are mostly in the Muraqqabat area. Well, I never wanted to live in that place when I stayed there. I had a few offers on moving there but I say NO right away. I never liked the place. Compared to Al Qusais which I began to love and never left until I came home. Anyway, I just think that the security people should be more vigilant in manning the streets of this community.

The Muraqqabat story is here.

---------------
Note: There is no wrong spelling on the subject. I just couldn't bear to write it.

Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

sachin said...

i'd search for this book now... :)

Clara said...

did you find it?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts