Thursday, June 10, 2010

On Dog Bites and Rites of Passage

I had a long walk this morning. I did an hour, for the first time, but I think I'm doing an hour when I attend my sister's aerobic classes. I think I might have overdid it though. My feet are in a little pain almost the whole day. But I should say it is kinda worth it. It must have been good. I enjoyed my music because there were less distractions (read: less dogs around). A stranger I know who lives at the entrance of the irrigation told me this morning that one of the dogs (probably he's the only dog) that scares people there has been poisoned - deliberately - by its owner. Lola said that the dog bit one person some time ago, prompting his owners to kill him. 

I remember when I was bitten by a dog. I can't remember exactly when. I think it was back in 1997, but I really can't be sure. The dog's owner kept him leashed at the backyard until the 14th day. I am not really sure if it was because of tradition or it is based on science. It was said that you have to keep the dog alive and observe it. If something happens errr... with me(?), we will have to get something from the dog's brain to heal me. But, I am here... and they killed the dog about three weeks after it bit me.

===============

I was surfing the tv when I chanced upon a NatGeo show: Lonely Planet's Road Less Travelled. They went somewhere in China, in a place where the two remaining women with the traditional tattoo on their, well, it turned out, on their faces, live. Their faces are tattooed like in the middle and it was said that this is being done to women as a rite of passage. This is also to make them look less pleasing. For some reason, I didn't hear.

I, then remembered how I resent one thing in Dubai. Previous law requires people holding Visit Visas to exit to neighboring countries once their visa expire. Last May 2007, I had to exit and was booked to Kish Island, Iran. This would mean that ladies are required to wear their traditional woman's dress upon entering the Immigrations right there at the airport. Shelas and Abayas are provided which you can borrow for the rest of your stay. I have my own so I didn't have to. Mine was an improvised version, but I passed the Immigrations, so I passed with now issues. I remember some of my companions who brought their improvised shelas and abayas did not pass and had to settle for those available at the airport. I resent and I always felt violated whenever I am required to wear the shela and abaya, even if it is as improvised as what I wore. But what can we do, when in Rome, blah blah, blah. I guess I could say I am lucky that I only have to do this twice.

If not for this, though, the exit would have been just okay. In fact, I see it as a rite of passage in Dubai. My room mates (in Dubai) and I agreed that your Dubai experience is not as complete if you did not experience the stress, agony and excitement of 'exiting.'


Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts