Saturday, May 22, 2010

Where is that Extra Mile?

TV commercials have always been a part of my life.

I actually missed it when I was out of the country and worked somewhere else. My room mates there was surprised when I said that how I wished TFC have those. I like watching them because it shows our culture, what is 'in' in our society and what's not 'in' anymore. They even make my laugh.

About two or (maybe) three days ago, an ad caught my attention. There is a new teleserye about to start and they're showing scenes from it.

A particular scene caught my eye. The scene were the child was fighting for her life. It was barely a five-second shot/scene since it's just a preview. But I was really exasperated. The medical person was doing CPR on the child and he's using the adult CPR procedure. What the f**k?!?! I am not a medical person but I took up caregiving that's why I know. And it's so sad that I saw a wrong procedure. There are three different procedures when doing the CPR. A procedure for infant, a child and an adult and what they showed on that scene was totally wrong. Totally a bad example.

That's why I have always thought that these teleseryes are just making people stupid, believing something could happen when actually they won't, like believing that fleeing to the U.S. when you have a fucked up life here is just as easy as getting a ticket for a movie. In this CPR scene, people who know might say that we're not supposed to do CPR if we are not trained. This I know. But in life and death situations and help is like a mountain away (but can be reached by tv networks' signal), everything is worth the try. But if this scene were to be tried on a dying child, it is totally wrong.

My whole point is this. The Philippine Red Cross is just a call away, even a tweet away, these days. What harm could it do to make that one simple call? These volunteers would be happy to help in any way they can. And we don't eve have to show the precise details of the procedure... just that point that on child CPR, only one hand is used. That's it. You can call the Phil Red Cross now and ask this.

No, I am not trying to brag about what I know. I am just so concerned about what they are showing on television, especially on teleseryes. It's not enough that we show something. They should walk that extra mile to also educate their viewing public.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts