Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Things I Miss

Last night, I hit the bed early, but not to sleep. I was relaxing my back due to pains brought about by my work. But it's okay... a massage every week would slowly send this away. I just need this rest. I lay on the bed and figured what could I do while relaxing. Then, I figured I miss reading. I haven't read for a while. And as they say, you wouldn't know what you're missing until it's there. I took out a book. The first book I ever bought here in Dubai, and that was a year ago. Also, this is the second time I'll be reading it. I'll share with you what struck me most so far. And if I am not mistaken, I've already written this on this same site. That should make it really remarkable for me, to be able to write about it twice.

"When someone sees the same people every day, as had happened with him in the seminary, they wind up becoming a part of that person's life. And then they want the person to change. If someone isn't what others want them to be, the others become angry. Everyone seems to have a clear idea of how other people should live their lives, but none about his or her own."

This is from Paolo Coelho's book, The Alchemist, which I am reading again. I figured there are a lot of things hidden in this book that I think would be good to find out.

This morning, I took it out while I was at the bus. On this paragraph, I stopped and got it back in my bag. Then I thought for a while. I miss reading, and plan to do this more often during my ride to and from work.

Also, at this point, it dawned on me. When was the last time I had smart conversations with people, or conversations with smart people? NO! It's not that there aren't smart people here to get into smart conversations. The problem lies with Time. We don't seem to have enough time for smart conversations. The only thing we get to talk about with people is the traffic, the weather, our whines about our work and our officemates and whoever.

But then again, we always have something to be thankful for. I started to look back at those times that I spent with friends that I can share even my most goofy acts and stupid ideas, and still never judged. As again, Paolo wrote:

"I told you that your dream was a difficult one. It's the simple things in life that are the most extraordinary; only wise men are able to understand them. And since I am not wise, I have had to learn other arts, such as the reading of the palms."

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts