I can still vividly remember that day that I was out for an errand. It was after nine in the morning and the streets were quite busy. It was at the intersection of Salahudin and Hamarain. I crossed the lights ever so carefully as I always do when I am on the streets. I am not concerned of police fines; I am actually afraid about my life.
I came from across Al Warqa Mall at Salahudin going towards it while another Pinay was coming from Hamarain street going towards Al Warqa Mall. I reached the stop light in front of Al Warqa barely a few seconds ahead of this other Pinay when I saw the police man called her. I turned my head and kind of glanced to at least have an idea what was that all about But I was inconveniently at a distance where I couldn't hear what was it all about. I sort of waited for a while to see what will happen. I was afraid for the other Pinay, because I didn't think she made any violations when she crossed the street. I could say that I was a little nervous, because she's a kabayan and anything could develop out of that situation.
After a few minutes, the Pinay was told to go. When she was in front of me, I started to walk with her and asked what that was all about. Still a bit nervous, she said that the policeman told her that she crossed with the red lights still on. And she said she did not. I don't know who to believe and who was actually telling the truth though. After that, we parted ways and I was also still a little nervous about the whole thing.
That told, it didn't matter to me who was telling the truth or not. It was a lesson learned for me. I began to get conscious of cops when I cross the streets of Dubai. Because instead of feeling safer when they were around, I felt otherwise. And as I approaced a pedestrian crossing after that incident, I trained myself to look with my peripheral vision to check if a cop is around the area. If there was one, I would avoid him by walking down a little bit more towards another pedestrian crossing, where a there was no cop.
Had I been in Dubai these days and after reading this news yesterday, I would have been even more cautious. Because this time, this is one sick guy posing as a cop just to lure someone in his car and rape her and rob her afterwards. And he's not finished at that. He even got the lady's mobile number and told her that he will call her when he needs her again. To make things worse, when she reports to the police, he twisted the story saying that she is his girlfriend and that she was asking a huge amount of money from him.
The case is now being heard at the court. But then again, whether the Pinay wins or looses, she has already been violated and nothing could change that. Again, this could be another empty victory for an OFW who was just trying to make a living in another country.
Monday, September 5, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
We only had to wait for an hour for the chest x-ray result. From what I saw, there is nothing to worry about. At least, it's not show...
-
As some of you may have observed, my trip for the past week has been the radio. I'm telling you, I am enjoying it. First two days, I...
-
I was with my oncologist last Tuesday morning. All the tests were normal, she said. And that gives me a go signal for my first session of...
-
[This is a late post. I didn't want to post something like this at the start of the year so I waited for a few days.] This happened o...
-
Even before this move to a new place, I have been thinking a lot about home. With the worldwide financial crisis, you cannot help to think o...
-
My hemoglobin test turned around a favorable result. I need not have blood transfusion, at least not yet. And I wish I won't have to....
-
Based on the meters of this site and statcounter.com , my most popular posts are those about CityVille. There is actually one post that is ...
-
Yesterday, I posted a photo of the house on the corner of the street where I now live. That is the site I see around the bend coming home. ...
-
Collective. Collective force. Collective prayer. Collective help. I know that there are a lot of people praying for me right now....
-
There's Dubai's Burj Dubai's Khalifa's fireworks and there is also Australia's Sidney Harbor Bridge fireworks . But ...
No comments:
Post a Comment