Monday, November 21, 2011

While we are young

That coffee shop was my friends and I's favorite hang out.  It was quiet and we could have our conversations amidst a few cups of coffee.

The last time we were there - which was some time last week, there was a group of friends that were having a good time.  Really good time.  This group were men and women about five or so years older than we are.

Their voices were loud enough by the time we got there.  Their voices and laughter fill up the place.  It was only a little later that I found out they were having a few rounds of drinks.  And I realized that was probably the reason why their voices were growing louder and louder.  Probably one note higher with every round.  I later said that there was very little difference between not having a drink yet and after a few drinks.  They were boisterously talking and not caring about the other people on other tables.

My friends and I just continued to talk with our normal voices and wait for them to finish their loud laughter before we say what we wanted to say.  After a while, we could just sigh and say, "Nakaka-stress magsalita."  So, we just waited for 'their gap' before we continue with our conversation.  But we have to rush with our topic lest they start again with a new one.

Then at some point, we started to look back.  Back on our youth when we were the ones who were like them.  But it was back then, when we were young.

Then, I said.  It's good that we were able to do a lot of things while we were young.  Back when we were young, I guess being young was an excuse.  And apart from that, we've already been there, done that.  And  looking at these people and hearing them laugh out loud (even louder than how we used to do it when we were young), I guess I could say that it was rather inappropriate for their age.  Please note that I didn't say it was wrong or that it wasn't right.  It's just inappropriate.  I know and I can relate that we sometimes need to unwind and that there is no such age for that.  But I guess they are also in an inappropriate place.

It might also be the fault of the establishment for serving liquor.  But I still think it is up to the clients to know their limits.  In this case, I think they went over the limits and forgot about courtesy and respect for other clients in the place.  This makes me think that old age doesn't go with wisdom.

A lot of you may not agree with me on this one.  But wait until you sit beside a table with this kind of people.  In a place where all you expect and want is to have a cup of coffee and a good conversation with friends.    Then, you'll probably understand what I am talking about.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts