Thursday, July 28, 2011

Admitting Day: Getting the IV in was harder this time.

At the ER, upon admission, we found out that I had a slight fever, it was only 37.5C and they were asking me if I already took Paracetamol and I said I didn't.  I didn't even know I had a fever.

Then, when it was time to put in the IV, they couldn't find a good vein to get it in.  This is rather unusual for me.  All the nurses that I have been with ever since 2009 told me that even if I'm fat, it's not very hard to look for one.  And now, this.  Well, the nurses, as well as my oncologist (later told me), that one of the effects of chemotherapy is that your veins somehow shrink because of the medicines.

It took them a while to look for a possible good one, and it took them two attempts to finally get the needle in.  The first one bulged.  And so, I am off to my room.


My BFF Reysie, who has been taking me to the hospital since I started, was there.  And as usual, we have another photo-ops.  (Oh, she missed the third cycle because she was somewhere out of town).

It was rather late when we finally settled in to the room.  The room smelled of Albatross and I had the utility took it off because I didn't want the smell.  I ate dinner rather late since I wanted to have the smell completely off the room before I eat.

The strange thing is I was feeling very, very sleepy even before "Minsan Lang Kita Iibigin" and was actually in deep sleep halfway.  It's not that I am religiously following this teleserye.  I was just trying to establish a sense of time (and I hope I am not being defensive since I know that Remedios already died and Lora is about to move into the Del Tierro mansion). Well, truthfully, when at home, I am usually in the bedroom right after "One Hundred Days to Heaven," which I am religiously following.  Sometimes, if I've had enough afternoon rest, I could still stay until "Minsan Lang."  There.

Anyway.

Come midnight, when they were about to give my the steroids, I complained of the pain on the IV, and we discovered a bulge.  This meant that they had to remove this and look for another vein.  After about several minutes of looking and two more bulges, they finally found another vein.  A few minutes later, I had to ask for a spleen to keep my wrist from moving too much.  I was afraid to cause another bulge and will not be able to find another vein just in time for my chemotherapy.

And I slept well until 5:30 a.m.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts