Monday, April 11, 2011

Call me old school, but this is one of my fascinations

Singkil - a courtship dance taken from an old Maranao epic poem.  A prince and princess interact amidst the clashing of criss-crossed bamboo poles clapping in syncopated rhythm.


I think the first time I saw this dance was back in probably Grade 5 or 6. This was the time that we transferred from San Pedro, Laguna, to a more provincial town, but the capital of Laguna, Sta. Cruz.

I am fascinated by the sound that the clashing bamboos produce, as well as that ornament that the princess has on her feet. They go together.

I am fascinated by the elegance of the dance, the expressions on the performers' faces, the way their bodies move, and the way they glide through the bamboo poles.

This is already nine minutes, but I feel like I still can't get enough.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts