Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Shoes Blues

It was a usual morning. I woke up and had breakfast and read my morning stuff. I was brushing my teeth when suddenly I started thinking about the opening of classes - which was yesterday. I think I still couldn't get over with the scene I saw yesterday while walking at my favorite place, the irrigation. The irrigation (for some who missed my post on this) is a stretch of concrete road that connects the highway into the town's national road. Many people and cars used this strip of road as a shortcut from the highway into town and vice versa. This is the place where I have been walking since March this year.

Yesterday, there were a lot of traffic on what used to be a deserted road for the last two months that I have been walking there. Bicycles, tricycles, cars, pick-up trucks passed by. But for the most, it's people. Some kids were alone - I am guessing they are either in their third grades or fourth - while some were in groups. That's good because they already have their set of friends. There were little children accompanied by one of their parents and you can still see some anxiety on their faces: first day jitters I can tell.

What gets me to think of this scene until this morning is that I am actually glad to see them rushing for school. If only I can come up to one of the parents so I can tell them that they are doing a good job in sending their kids to school during these hard times, I will. It was good to see these kids dressed up in their uniforms and making it to school. I saw some who were in slippers, but whatever, what is important is what they put into their heads and not what they put their feet on.
Image copied from this site
This, I guess is what led me to think about my first days in school. I was brushing my teeth when I thoughts started to come in (some of you I know, knows that I brush longer than anyone you know). I started to remember about college. My first day in college. I thought about my shoes as a college student. It took me a while to remember what they were called. I had the image in my mind, I know they were called loafers, but I couldn't remember the name. When it finally came to me, I googled for an image and found it hard. And as always, I found it at Facebook, check the fan page here. Yup, I am talking about the Haruta loafers. Oh, they were so in those days! I guess they don't have it in stocks here in the Philippines anymore, although they still sell it in Japan. The Facebook Fan Page actually links you to their website (in Japanese). Check out the website here.

Anyway, this reminded me of a quote I read months back:

I get the blues because I had no shoes
Until upon the street
I met a man who had no feet.
~ Harold Abbott

P.S.
I guess this should remind us to always remember to count our blessings.

2 comments:

Ozzy said...

hey! what's up?? missed your post 'bout irrigation.. but correct me if i'm wrong... an irrigation is not "a stretch of concrete that connects the highway into the town's national road." maybe you're talking about the shoulders of an irrigation which are the concrete beside an irrigation and serves as their foundation ... i don't know the exact technical term but I think it's not some sort of a road connection between the highway and the national road. we Filipinos, ingenuity always kicking, just used it as a secondary or arterial road.... now, this isn't meant to offend you, i just thought you might like to know... :)

Clara said...

hi ozzy! thank you for the comment! i am not at all offended.

well, the term 'irrigation' is just how people here started to call that stretch of road from the highway to bagumbayan national road. it's like the people here coined the term for the place.

it's good you made this point!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts