Thursday, April 15, 2010

A for Attitude

Dad had cataract extraction this morning. It was a simple process. It took him only fifteen minutes inside the room. The wait was even longer because there were a lot of patients that are also waiting.

This program is open to all, but we see mostly senior citizens. The major requirement is that you must have a PhilHealth card to avail of the services. We prepared the documents required and just sent a message to the medical assistant telling her that the requirements are ready and she'll give us a schedule. No need to go there again for that. It saves a lot of time and money for our part. Good service.

I want to commend the people who organized this program. We see how it benefits these people who are getting blind, nearly blind, almost blind and totally blind from cataract. [I didn't take pictures since this is one of the things that I jut don't feel like doing.] It has helped a lot of people ever since I think September last year.

The second thing I want to commend is the way the medical assistant, Danica, has been very patient with the patients who are mostly senior citizens. We have been through a lot of business, organizations, government institutions, private and public hospitals. Most of the service really sucks. But I don't want to talk about it because I know it's obvious for most of us, if not all. Danica is very patient with the patients' questions which I believe had been asked to her a hundred (or more) times. She patiently assists patients who do not have companions and patiently guides them through the medical process. This also holds true with the rest of the team. They, too, have been very patient in dealing with all of us there.

The team is composed of very young people. One thing that is most admirable. I believe we have a stereotype (and this is true) with young people nowadays being hot-and-short-tempered when it comes to old people. But this team, age range is probably 25-30, handles the patients very gently, nicely and pleasantly. I never heard them raised their voices or smirk or frown not even once during the whole time that we were there, which was from 9:00 am - 12:00 nn. When we left, there were still several patients waiting for their turn.

I have been talking about this on my twitter account since yesterday and I got responses that this is quite rare, and I agree! If all young people have this kind of attitude, we the older generations could expect that we will be treated pleasantly during our later years. I want to know how parents raise these kind of kids. I want to know how to teach a child one of the important values, if not the most, which is RESPECT. They deserve an A for bringing up their kids in a very good way. As for this children, they also deserve an A for learning how to obey their parents and accept the values.


Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts