Saturday, January 30, 2010

Deuces, Loves and Underdogs

I arrived at my friend's birthday party with the tv tuned in to the Australian Open 2010 Ladies' Singles Championship match. That's good, because I can't seem to remember when was the last time I get to watch tennis. Looking back asfar as I could remember, I think it was Henin playing for championship; it being her last tournament and announced her retirement.

Now, it's Justin Henin against Serena Williams.

*Image copied from this site.

It was already the last few sets of Game 2. One of my friends asked me whom I was for. I couldn't answer. Because at the back of my mind, I was thinking, "Do we always have to take sides when watching a game?" When I couldn't answer, he said, "You're for Serena, right?" and he explained, "As for me, I always go for the underdogs."

I said, "Not really."

That's because I had a feeling that this was Henin's come-back play and I would really like for her to win. But even if I haven't followed the sport for a long time, I will always remember that 'fire' in Serena Williams' eyes when I've seen her play against her sister in some tournament a few years ago.

Serena lost the second set.

I saw her not fighting for the last game of that set. If I were her, I would have done the same. Why should I if there is still another set. At this point, I also thought that she wanted Henin to think that she lost her confidence. Because I thought so, too. But, no, she fought back. They were both good, physically and mentally. But Serena's decision to bring it to the third set was a good decision. Because I still think Henin didn't have that endurance to finish as strong as she started, like Serena.

And Serena won.

I think my friend was bitter, because he commented, "Nakakasawa na... (This is getting to be boring)" which I took as Serena being always a winner.

But as for me, there were no underdogs on this game.

The finals story is here.

Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts