Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Because Twas A Good Read

Everything's kinda light lately. I am still excited about this one thing with our company although there was a bit change of plans. I do not want to pre-empt everything that's why that's all I am going to say for now.

Well, the good thing about yesterday was what I read on my Daily Dose. Some or many of you might have this, too, and it really pays to keep one every year. There was a poem there by John Newton.

The Kite
- John Newton

Were I but free, I'd take a flight
And pierce the clouds beyond their sight
But ah! Like a poor pris'ner bound
My string confines me near the ground.

The kite does finally manage to tug itself free, but instead of soaring higher in the sky, it crushes into the sea.

Then the commentator said; be careful of things that you let go, for they are the ones that might be holding you up.

I just think this is a very nice thing to ponder on. Especially during these times.


And another good poem.

I read this from the book 'The Duma Key' by Stephen King, which I am reading right now. Edgar Freemantle sometimes read books for Miss Elizabeth Eastlake and they both were teary-eyed [and I was, too... honestly!] as he read it to her. The title was never mentioned but the poem was written by Frank O'Hara. I am not sure whether this is just a part of the poem or this is the whole poem itself. But part or not, it's still all good.

Have you forgotten what we were like then
when we were still first rate
and the day came fat with an apple in its mouth
'it's no use worrying about time
but we did have a few tricks up our sleeves
and turned some sharp corners
'the whole pasture looked like our meal
we didn't need speedometers
we could manage cocktails out of ice and water'
'I wouldn't want to be faster
or greener than now if you were with me O you
were the best of all my days.'

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts