Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The Month I Would Not Miss

As early as this month, we Filipinos in Dubai begin to wonder and ask each other when this month would start. Although many times they could predict the month, they couldn't exactly tell you what day. That is because they base the start of the holy month upon the appearance of the moon. I was on my Reader this morning and I saw this. So, for this year, Ramadan would start exactly on August 11.

I checked my blog for entries. Last year, there were about only one for August and three for September. I did this to check what I was writing about. Back in 2008, I was had a few entries but nothing actually connected to the month. I guess it was out of fear that my site would get blocked if I say something that is that is not in accordance with their race, religion and culture.


What I remember from last year is that my job required me to do a lot of field work. So that meant that, while on the streets and in the bus, I couldn't drink, eat or even chew gum. You can't even light a cigarette on the street while waiting for a bus.

Fasting begins as soon as the sun rises and ends when the sun sets. After the sun sets comes the Iftar. Iftar means breaking the fast and this is the time that you can eat, drink, take a bath, smoke, amongst other things that I am not aware about at all. What I remember was I endured a 42-degree-Celcius day outside the office and it wasn't fun. There was even a time that I wanted to pee but couldn't because I have sweated all my body's water content. I drank almost a liter of water the moment I got home just to hydrate myself so I can pee.

I guess this month is the month I wouldn't miss when in Dubai. But, thinking about it, I had good times with friends celebrating Iftar. Restaurants have good offers during this month like big dinner servings or combo servings for a very good price.

August is one of the hottest months of the year in Dubai, and the season is one of the hardest events to celebrate. I just hope they will find the Iftar equally rewarding as it was for me.


==============
The mosque above is in Ras Al Kaimah; taken during one of the very few road trips I made up north when I was in the country.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts