Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Lemongrass

When I was diagnosed with the big C, I told a lot of my friends [but not all] about it so that I can get inputs on alternative foods and ways to fight it. One of the top answers was lemon grass... tanglad or salay for some in tagalog. Even if I was cleared after the CT scan and the CA 125 tests, I am still trying very hard to avoid those foods that are to be avoided and eat those that are good for me. And I tell you, it is so effin' hard, especially for people like me who loves to eat.


It was hard to look for this plant. Well, at least not as easy as it is to look for malunggay leaves which we have right in front of our house.

It was an opportunity when Anilag Festival came. We bought it for Php 20.00 and planted it in front of our house and across - a vacant lot. This is the one on the vacant lot.

We harvested our first set of leaves and made tea the other day. I swear the taste is exactly the same as the palamig/gulaman that my Lola used to make for us for merienda. For those interested, preparation is rather easy. Just take about 10 pieces of the leaves, wash it and cut the topmost and the bottom part then boil it for about five minutes. You can add sugar if it suits you. It really tastes great!

As for the medical benefits, I leave it up to you to google it, because posting it here might bore some who are not really up to it. Just type lemon grass.


Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts