Thursday, January 21, 2010

Reminiscing

For the past three weeks, I have been going out on Thursdays to do things from medical requests and visits to things like buying stuffs needed at home. The errands today require a bit of walking since I will have to go to places that are not really near to one another.

First stop was to scan some old pictures that we wanted to post online. Since I only have been going out very seldom since I got here, there were questions and I also have a few stories to share. The owner being an old friend of mine, it was just like updating where we left off. This brought back those times that internet cafes were a hit and we have to wait in line for hours to take our turns. His internet cafe is the one I like best around town since it has a very cozy ambiance, free from online games and noisy kids.

Next errand was to the copier shop where I used to go for my paperworks when I was taking up caregiving. It took a while because there were a lot of jobs to do before my turn. But on our way to this shop, we saw a friend whom I haven't seen for so many years. Since this is not very timely, we just set up a date next week where we can update each other. I hope this would push through before she leaves the country.

After the copier shop, we then walk our way to the book store for some office supplies and along the way, we met a friend who I also haven't seen since I can remember. She now owns a canteen near the school and is inviting us for some dinner anytime. I remember that we used to go to my sister's aerobic classes even before I took up caregiving which was already about five years ago.

Then I went to my friend's house to deliver the capsules she ordered. I met her mother whom I haven't seen for about nine years already. It was good to see her again and the place they have. My sister even remembered that we even got to play pictionary at their place one time.

Since we took so long for these things to get done, I wasn't able to stick to my original plan. It was to visit my friend's daughter confined at the hospital because of dengue. The truth is, I am still a little adamant about going to visits to sick people because of the superstition that it's not good for sick people to visit sick people. This might also be due to the fact that I am still recuperating from my surgery.

During dinner, one of my friends came and brought muscovado sugar. This is the same friend who brought it weeks ago. We talked about those rations that are being given at the municipal hall from time to time. I got interested as to what are the contents of one ration. Since her relatives came from one of those affected areas, they are entitled to have a stub for this ration. I asked for a picture of the contents because I am curious and just so I can post it on my blog.



I am taking it that this came from the World Food Program. My friend said that the rice came from Japan, the cooking oil from USA, and the noodles are from Malaysia.

I also got a picture from the typhoon. We couldn't exactly tell if this was after Pepeng, Ondoy or Santi. But, there's a certain funny feeling that we couldn't remember anymore, which is actually a good thing. Sometimes it's better to forget these things.


This was taken in front of my friend's relative's house. This is their gate. Although the typhoons were months ago and the flood had totally subsided, these people are still struggling to recover from what happened. I think it's just a good thing that these organizations are continually sending their aids. A half cavan of rice will go a long way for small families and will save a day of meal for a bigger one.

Lastly, when I opened my Facebook account, the first update was from my best friend and it is about a video of Hall and Oates, one of our favorites from the 1980's. I started viewing their performances and it felt really good.

What a day... I am still reminiscing... I guess I will until I fall asleep tonight.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts