Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Transitions

I want to mark this day since this is the last day of my bus card. For this would really affect me. Ever since I've been here, I've been using this to move myself around. It's like a monthly subscription and unlimited, too. The thing is, they are removing it and replacing with a new system; and it is not monthly anymore.


The card on top is the old one. It has been my 'constant companion ' since I arrived here in Dubai and I should say that it really helped me through. Since it is unlimited, I was able to explore and study the transportation system; the routes, the numbers. Sadly, timing is not something I was able to study since it is perfectly unpredictable. I was able to familiarize myself of the routes on areas that I don't really frequent and can more or less tell the route of the buses by their numbers. Not all, but quite a number of them.

The card at the bottom is the new card. Disposable! Which means that after 10 rides, you throw it and get a new one. I should say this is not really very environment-friendly. The old one is more practical. I've had it for a year and I didn't have to get a new one everytime.

Anyway, the new system requires every commuter to buy this card for AED 18, and it is good for 10 rides. Eventually, buses would not accept cash anymore. It is now being slowly implemented since some of the bus routes do not accept cash anymore. The consequence is, a lot of people couldn't ride if they cannot buy the card. Card access is not a problem since you can buy it from the driver. But the thing is not everyone couldn't afford to pay AED 18 upfront. I just hope that these people would realize that by next month, they should allot enough money to get them through the month - their transportation allowance. Otherwise, they might end up walking to or from work. Until when is the ticket system? Who knows? That's why commuters should be preparing as early as now.

One question that has been bugging me about this new system is that the inspection process. With the old system, inspectors just take a look at your ticket and they know, because you have the proof - the ticket serves as the receipt. However, in this card system, how do we prove that we paid for that ride? I heard someone said that they actually perfected the system for flaws. That there is a machine that can actually detect that you indeed paid. How will we know? The fine for not paying a ride is AED 200. What if the machine fails?

Anyway...

Still on the road...

I remember blogging also about crossing pedestrian lanes here. Like I don't wait for the red signal, because I wait for all of the cars in front to stop. Recently, the Dubai Traffic Police has been vigilant about jaywalkers with a fine of AED 200 if caught. Some people are actually furious because of this regulation. And I say, "Duh!" They are just trying to protect us. Really. You should know how risky it is at the streets of Dubai. This article here shows some statistics and facts about the roads of Dubai. And believe me, I saw one taxi spin right before my eyes about two weeks ago. We shouldn't be crossing just anywhere we want... no, at least not here in this country.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts