Saturday, April 4, 2009

Where I Am

  • Being a Saturday, I went home early. I took the bus that stopped nearer; just so because it was the first bus that came while I was waiting. But I also want to take this route every so often because it snakes its way beside the creek which is one of my favorite places here. As we entered the creek side (which is called Baniyas Road), I sensed that there was something different. My mind begun reviewing my past trips on that route. I thought hard because I really want to confirm that there is really something wrong and that I am NOT just imagining things. Then, almost halfway through, it came to me. I could see these abras (boats) clearly. The difference before is that back then (I think about a year ago) I couldn't have take a look at those abras because of loads and loads of cargoes - tires, appliances, tanks, boxes and boxes of who-knows-what. I have always wanted to see those very old abras (and one time I even want to shoot pictures) but couldn't because of these merchandises. Then, of course, we ask questions. Like how is it possible now than before? It didn't take long for me to answer it myself. Less and less demands since more people left the country already.
  • The route also passes by one of these malls/centers. It was a red signal so I had some time to watch people who came in and got out of the mall. One group of women [there are about five of them] was just about to enter the mall. All of them were in their black abayas, happy and gay and chatting. I watched them happily, too. Because lately, it is very seldom that I get to see a group of women wearing abayas. As they entered, I began to wonder: they are all in black... how do they recognize each other since I cannot tell myself how they all look like? I know they know. It's just that I just thought and wondered.
  • A year ago last April 2, I would have completed one year here in Dubai. But since I went home and came back November 2007, I am taking it as my official one-year-date here. Well, I just took note of that because of the weather. I think March and April's weather are probably the best of the year's weather. This afternoon while walking home, I was feeling relaxed and cool since the air is still colder. A lot of times I don't feel like I am here at all. It's probably because of the routinely day every day that makes it not-so-out-of-the-country feeling. Sometimes, I have to look around me to see the dates and the customary Arabic architecture to remind myself that I am where I am currently. It's not that I don't miss home, I do, and a whole lot lately. It's just that my feeling is like it's all the same wherever you are - you got to ride the bus to get to work, you got to work, you got to get home, cook your own food, do your laundry and all. Oh well, what difference does it make? Gotta work...

Mood Music:

This one is my sister's all-time-favorite. When we go to videoke bars years ago and she was teased to sing just one song, she used to say she will only sing if this song is on the list, which never was, until a few years after. So now, she sings. I'm glad that it made it on the list. That's because I've always wanted here to sing... to have some fun singing.


Never Ever - All Saints

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts