Friday, March 20, 2009

After Nicole

Online.

It has been a long time since I have read (nor watched) anything about the Philippine news. Where I used to stay, we unanimously decided not to renew subscription to our TFC since we do not have much time and use for it after all. I used to update myself with the news on tv with regard to what's happening in our country.


Today, I have the chance to browse the internet for news in the Philippines. I was actually surprise to find the "Nicole" name again in the papers. (Do you remember "Nicole" (Suzette Nicolas) and Daniel Smith?) The first thing that popped in my mind is that "another rape case similar to hers?" So, I started reading. In between articles and my favorite section, "Columns," I found out a lot about this.


The most interesting article is this Link, "A Shot Across the Bow" by Amando Doronilla. Initially, I was a little bit appalled and irked that her case re-emerge in our news. But then again, there is a more serious concern lying underneath as I read through pages.


After reading several articles, I ate dinner and began to think about these whole Nicole show. How everything boils down to the political effect of her retraction, or is it the political reasons? These days, I think it all boils down to the strategic location of our country, and how Obama is starting to realize the role that we can play in this show he is now in. He needs to gradually get back the VFA so that he can carry on with his plans.


In any case, the last part of the Philippine Daily Inquirer's editorial read:


She was the Filipina who wanted to live the American dream. She was comfortable around American soldiers, “as [she] practically grew up interacting with American servicemen in Zamboanga City” (paragraph 12). Many were aghast when they heard the news that, despite everything, Nicole had gone “for good” to the States, to be together with her (new) American boyfriend. How could she even think of living in the United States? This is the question that continues to unsettle many of us. The answer must be: Because she did not consider herself raped, or taken advantage of, by the United States only by a single American.

The second statement may tell us more about her than we are ready for.


If our country would not be very careful, I think Filipinas would be the next one after Nicole. So, I think it's better that we learn from Nicole's fate; she was raped by "only one single American." and I hope we would not allow Filipinas to be taken advantaged (again?) after the VFA. What happened before could be considered statutory rape (wherein the victim is considered too young to give consent). But if this happens again after Nicole, I should say this would now be rape with consent.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts