Sunday, July 20, 2008

Culture

19 July 2008
21:04


My client was applying for a Schengen visa and one of the requirements is to have a travel visa. After going thru the process, I was already documenting the policy when the problem occurred. The system wouldn't accept a Family policy if one of the members do not have the same last name. I immediately called the customer service of the insurance company to resolve the issue. The CSR informed me of two options: (1) is to risk applying the policy altering the wife's last name or (2) issue the policy individually (which would cost them more).

I immediately called the client and told him the issue. He was almost enraged and asked me why. So I told him that I couldn't do anything because the system requires the members to have the same last names. He then told me that in their country, it is not required that the wife adopts the husband's last name. I told him I understand since I have dealt with concerns like this on other types of insurance. Then he said, "why are you trying to change my culture?" He was quite irate at this time. Then I said, "Doctor, I am not trying to change your culture. And this isn't about trying to change your culture. It's the system…" I said calmly.
"Then write my last name as my wife's," he interrupted.

I said, "Doctor, I couldn't take that risk because if something happens and you file a claim, things might be complicated and the worse thing that could happen is that you might be denied of the claim."
After murmuring some more things, we both fell silent and I broke, "If you want, doctor, I'll give you the direct number and contact person to the provider and ask them to resolve this issue." We both said our polite goodbyes and hanged up.

At this point, I knew I have lost the client since whatever might happen when he calls direct, he will have the chance to get the policy direct.

I went through my normal tasks and forgot all about it. I accepted the fact that it's not my sale.

Then…

A call was transferred to me after a few hours.

"Yes, doctor…"

"So, tell me what you still need to issue the policy…" was what he said first. Then he asked for the total amount.

And that afternoon, I delivered his family's policy at his clinic.

The truth is, I have high respects for people with high respect on their culture. I admire that they live their lives in these modern, globalized world and trying and keeping their cultures alive. On the other hand, we Filipinos sometimes laugh on ours and we are all guilty - you and me - at one time or the other. But which culture are we really preserving? And I know we all ask these question, too.

After about a few days after this incident, I checked on my friends' posts and found something very related to this although not entirely about it. Sadly, I agree with this post. There are a few of us who lives up to our culture. But how much do we have of our own and how much do we keep?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts