Sunday, August 7, 2011

My follow-up after the fourth cycle

The check-up should have been last Wednesday (a week after the cycle), but the weather wasn't so good and the rains come and go.  So, I decided to postpone it to Saturday.

As usual, it was edema I was complaining about.  The past three days, I saw myself with a baby elephant's foot at the end of the day.  Come morning, it subsides, only to be bloated again at the end of the day.  My oncologist wanted to give me Lasix, but she was really apprehensive about it.  She asked if I can tolerate it and I said yes (which is the truth), and she said, "Sige, wag na lang." Meaning, she won't give me meds anymore.

Other than that, there weren't any more issues.  She just repeatedly told me to do some walking everyday.  I said I already started (which is true) but had to stop because the edema started.  And she said jokingly, "Uy, nagpalusot pa.  Sige na, malay mo, pag naglakad ka nang naglakad, mawala yan."

And I said, "Oo nga po, ano?" So, I really should continue walking now.

Then, she began writing the requests I need for my CT scan next week.

While she's at it, I told her that I am not sure when I would be ready for the fifth cycle, not because of anything but financial issues.  I told her that we still have to wait some time because I already ran out of funds.  She said, "Okay, but we really need to have your CT scan." I was going to open my mouth and ask why, but realized that I need it to know where we stopped.  And she said, "Yes, that's right, and besides, our routine is to have your CT scan after every two cycles."

I said, "Okay.  I still have enough for this lab works."

I have an application with the DSWD and we are just waiting for the release of the funds.  We were told that it will come out some time this August, and I am almost certain that it will come out before the end of the month.  Add this to what my anonymous benefactor has been giving since I started chemotherapy, we only have to worry about a fourth of what I need for one cycle.

Anyway.

My oncologist handed me the request.  Whole abdomen CT scan with contrast.  And of course, I will have to be cleared with my creatinine level to do the CT scan.

But I was surprised when she said that she wanted me to have my CA 125, too.  I wonder why.  Back in April when I showed her my first CT scan for this year, and that's when we found out that the cancer was back, I wouldn't forget what she sadi:  "I don't want to know your CA 125 level." And I know why she said that.

This time, I wonder why she wants to know.  And now, I am excited to know, too.  Excited in a very positive way.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts