Sunday, September 12, 2010

What's Your Number?

I got a phone call on our landline. The person on the other line recited our number and when I said, "Yes, that's right," he immediately asked if we have a relative working overseas. I did not confirm nor deny. First, I used to work overseas so this might have to do something with me. Second, I have relatives working abroad - quite a few - and it might have something to do with them.

He, again, confirmed if he got the right number and then said he was from the Immigrations and that there has been an accident involving a Filipino and wanted to notify the relatives here.

I initially got nervous but told myself to calm down.

I asked, "Who is this, please?"

"I am from the Immigrations office," he said again.

At this point, I was nervous but my mind started questioning.

It was a Saturday. Are they for real? I mean, yeah, are they working on Saturdays? And besides, no one from my relatives abroad know our land line number since they all call us through our mobile numbers.

But I considered.

"There has been an accident," he said again, "and we need to talk to his relatives. This was his listed contact number and we need to confirm." The man having said this again at this point made me become more of angry and than nervous. I was gonna say, "I know a**ho*e, you already said it three times. Just tell me what is going on!" But I just thought getting angry will not do anything. I was already having doubts about the call but I still fear, "what if this is true?" I tried to think of a way to have or know something else about him if it's not going to be his name.

"Sir, can you please give me your number so I can call you back? I will call you back right away, or as soon as we..."

The line went dead. I was sure that we didn't get disconnected. The person on the other line deliberately ended the call.

This was our conversation. This same call happened about three times - first it was me, then my dad, then my sister who answered - and whenever we asked for the identity of the person, he purposely ignored it and just says he was from the Immigrations. But for three times, when we asked for a call-back number, the line goes dead.

I guess asking for the call-back number was the wisest thing to do.

Ok. So this is another rip-off… Don't you think so?

This happened two or maybe three months back. But I never got to write about it and I just hope that this isn't happening anymore.

May this serve as a warning.


Next: I'm Not Even A Mall Rat

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts