Sunday, December 27, 2009

My Dubai Exodus

Sunday morning. Oct 11. I woke up feeling the pain had subsided. But as I was taking a bath after breakfast, the pain got worse. So, I decided to take a leave at work and figure out what to do next. I called in sick and my office mate told me to go to the Filipino doctor so that I can at least know what is really wrong. I called the clinic and got appointment and dressed up and go. It wasn't long before it was my turn and after examining my stomach, the doctor advised me to have ultrasound. So, I took the metro to save time and got it done. I took the report back to the doctor and he said that I have this ovarian cyst about 18 cm and it needs to be taken out. I asked him if this is immediate because I am not due to come home until February and I plan to do this when I get home. He said, it's really up to me but he said the sooner it would, be the better. I asked him if he wouldn't prescribe any pain reliever, but he refused and said, "Ano pang magagawa non, e bukol na yan." So, I called the office and told them about it.

Tuesday, Oct. 13. After 2 days of sick leave, I reported to work. I told my office mate about my condition and she asked me if I wanted to go back home so that I can immediately have my operation. This was a good deed for her because she was already booked on Oct 29. I asked her if it would be okay and she said she understood because of my medical condition. We, then, called my boss so that I could ask her permission for an emergency leave. It wasn't hard to do this because she finally agreed and even offered me that she'll give me my air ticket benefit in advance. This is truly a blessing for me since I know I would need money for the operation. Once this has been set, I called my doctor-friend from the Philippines to ask for assistance at the provincial hospital. We arranged for the appointments and I was soon set to go home.

Thursday, Oct. 15. My boss was able to book me a flight the next day at 9.00 am. I called several friends to let them know I am going home.

Friday, Oct 16. I woke up and got ready and was at the airport by 6.00 am. I was upset because I was informed by several friends that Emirates Airlines has a baggage limit of 50 kg. but the check-in counter assistant told me it was only 30 kg. There was no point arguing so I ended up wondering who can I call at this early morning. I didn't think twice of calling my previous room mate, Cindy, and asked her the favor of taking care of my things [it's one trolley, about 25kg.] until I come back.

The plane touched down in Pinas at about 10.00 p.m. It was a good flight but I had to wait for more or less an hour to complete my baggage.

Honestly, it really felt good to be home. But, still, I cannot change the fact that I went home not to have a vacation, but to deal with my medical condition. I was half-happy, half-something.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts