Wednesday, October 12, 2011

An empty victory is still a victory after all

Housemaid heads home with fraction of her claimed owings

I have been blogging about this since I can remember.  And this time, at least she goes home with something.  Although it's still hard to accept that she didn't get everything, it is something to be thankful for that she got out of this issue with something to take home for her family.  And I hope she'd be left with at least something more for her to start with again.

This brings me back to...

During one of my grocery times in Dubai, I met a Filipina who worked as a house maid for someone.  Short of time for a conversation, she was very frank to ask me right away for a favor.  Knowing that I worked somewhere in Bank Street, she directly asked me for a favor.  She's going home soon and asked me if I can buy a Sto. Niño image for her somewhere in Bank Street.  We exchanged numbers.  She said she didn't have enough time because she just couldn't get out of the house where she's working.  She was in a hurry.  So, I was left with no time to ask questions.  All I have are her name (which I've forgotten long ago) and her number.  She said she can't stay long because her madame will be looking for her in no time at all.

After a few days, she called me.  Sort of in a whisper, she asked me if I got what she asked.  I told her no because I didn't have time to look for the place that she told me about.  In fact, it was really sketchy, as I recalled.  I told her I am really sorry I couldn't do what she asked for.

It was actually half a lie.  I really didn't look for the place because I was skeptical about it.  If I got what she asked for, how could I find her?  I doubt it if I can call her mobile phone anytime to talk to her about it.  She's going home and what if she doesn't get in touch with me before she leaves?  How do I get paid for that?  It would have been okay if it's something that I, too, wanted and it's something that I could keep.  But I have my own and I didn't need it at that time.

Our kababayans do really sacrifice when they leave for some other countries.  Nagtitiis sila just so that they can make their family's life back home a little better.  But sometimes, it isn't fair that they will have to withstand a lot of things that they shouldn't be in in the first place.

Now I ask this question.  Is it really worth all the trouble of leaving if this is what you're going to get?

'via Blog this'

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts