Monday, August 23, 2010

A Gesture of Humility

I have been wanting to share this since I can remember. But it's not that I didn't have the time nor the connection. None of that reasons. Right now, all I can think about is that maybe it's not yet time or probably because of those distractions that I came across with lately.

But I don't consider this something to many at all. It's just that I felt like sharing it to some people who might not have known it yet…. Like me.

As a child, I went to mass with my mom. And as many of us did, some of those parts I hardly understood, not to mention the gestures that everyone makes on certain segments. But, again, like many of us did as a child, we just followed or mimicked our parents on everything they did during the service.

One thing in particular is the gesture that we make as we sang or recite Kordero ng Diyos [Lamb of God].

I never really knew the reason why my mom puts her right hand or her right chest as she recited it together with the others.

Years passed and as a teen, I think I stopped doing that.

But as an adult, I started doing it again. Funny how we realized a lot of things that our parents taught us when we reach a certain age. How we realized that they were indeed right on those things that they taught us as a child.

I still didn't understand what it meant or why it's done when I started doing it again.

A few years ago, after hearing mass with my sister, she asked me why and I didn't have any answers. The only thing I could tell her is that because Mommy taught us to do so.

Just recently, after a service, she again, asked me. But this time, I know she has the answer.

She learned from one of those masses she has been into that putting your right hand on your left chest while reciting Kordero ng Diyos [Lamb of God] is a gesture of humility and submitting yourself to Him.

I hope this gave you the answer, if you, too, had been asking but was timid to ask.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts