Thursday, September 2, 2010

Another Natural Dengue Fighter


I just got off the phone talking to my cousin from the States. Of course, after the brief 'how's everyone' one topic after another follows. And who wouldn't talk about dengue? After a lot of people have been confined and treated at hospitals, it seems to me that the problem is still there.

A good friend of mine was not saved after all. No, not her. But her husband, her middle daughter and youngest son were all confined the past two weeks all of the same cause.

So, my cousin shared what she read over the internet. She told me that our very own talbos ng kamote (Sweet Potato Greens or Ipomea Batatas) is said to be one of the nature's answers to the disease. So, I googled and found the link to what she shared. Go to this website here, Sense & Serendipity: Some Amazing Local Leafy Greens and find out more on how this can help your patient fight the dreaded dengue which won't seem to go away.

But going back to preventive measuresinstead of cure, like my previous post here about tanglad (lemongrass), I think that what we really need to do is to keep our environment free of stagnant waters and things like old tires which could be home for these mosquitoes to reproduce and multiply.

I have observed that many of our households today do not clean their yards anymore using our good, old, reliable walis tingting (a local broom made out of the spine of the coconut leaves). When I was in Dubai, I was kind of frustrated not having to find walis tingting to clean our open-air kitchen free of water that I used to wash out the floor. There was a plastic broom and this thing that wipes away the water very similar to a car's wiper, but nothing does it better than the walis tingting.

Maybe it's really time for us to get back to some of our old ways, to eat some of our local plants. I believe it won't harm us all if just try. After all, we still get some benefits out of this talbos ng kamote aside from fighting dengue.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts