Friday, February 10, 2012

Changing my Rx

My doctor-friend called the other day for our Tuesday coffee time.  But as with the past few days, I couldn't, because of my back pain.  She suggested that I switched to or add another pain reliever to help me through it but I couldn't give her a definite answer.  I told her we could talk about it on our Thursday coffee time.

I then shifted the chat to the book I am currently reading.  (I wrote on one of my posts here that I wanted to stop it since I couldn't get myself engaged to it, add the fact that I am not so much into knights and kingdoms.  But she suggested that I continue.  I did.  Not only because of her suggestion but because of what happened to the story.)  She hasn't read it but saw quite a few episodes on HBO.  She asked if I already knew what happened to one of the characters and I said no.  Since she didn't want to preempt the story for me, she left it hanging, making it one of the things to look forward to on our Thursday coffee time.

Then came Wednesday.  The hospice nurse was here for a visit and when she learned about my back pain, she also suggested that I get another pain reliever. She told me that more or less, this has the same side effect as with what I am taking right now, which is constipation.  She asked why I have fears in taking morphine because she remembered suggesting this medicine a few months ago.  I told her that I was afraid that if I take it for such a long time, I fear that it would lose its effect by the time I need a stronger one.  She told me that I need not fear about this because we only have to increase the dosage in the future.

Since these two people suggested the same, I was convinced.  The hospice nurse left me a few tablets; this is part of their palliative care and one of our privileges as a member of the hospice.  She said that I only have to ask my doctor for the dosage or Rx.  This is not a problem since I was going to see my friend the very next day.

I actually became excited with the thought of changing my pain reliever since I am looking forward to days spent away from bed.

Thursday came.  I was actually looking forward to this day because of my coffee time with my friend.  I learned about what happened with one of the characters and I was excited to talk about the story with her.  But it was around this time when the pain started to creep in.  I've taken my pain reliever during breakfast and I'm supposed to be 'covered' until before lunch.  I tried to tolerate it and see if I could at least until my next dose.  But when I couldn't anymore, I sent a message to my doctor-friend and ask if I could take the new medicine and how much should I take.  When I got the Rx, I asked her if I would be well enough for our coffee time later. But she answered, 'Not sure, Ate Che. :)'

Since I was forewarned of the effects, I took a bath and had an early lunch.  I fell asleep and was relieved of the pain.

I didn't make it for our coffee time.

But I felt a lot better the rest of the afternoon.  And I look forward to more better days like it now that my Rx has been changed.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts