Thursday, October 14, 2010

Thou Shall Not Come

Trafficking Victims Find A Haven in Abu Dhabi and the shelter has been operating for two years already.

So far, it has been a shelter 100 people. A big or a small number, it's up to you.

Somewhere in Naif: where they say everything is cheap - even s*x. I took this shot during one of my client calls in 2008.

But as for me, it's small, becuase I believe that there are a lot more unaccounted for.

  • Those who have been forced to live the life that they didn't know - as sex workers or domestic helpers
  • Those who were not aware of the shelter and seeks home from their relatives and friends
  • Those who refuse to seek shelter and thus, sell themselves for food and shelter
  • Those that have expired visas and hiding from the authorities

So far, these are just situations that I know, having lived there for just two years. I was one of those countless people who went in the UAE on tourist visa all alone. All alone meaning not depending on anyone to find me a job or a home. Although I thought and still think that this is still the best way to go out of the country, I suggest that it's not the practical thing to do these days anymore. The rules have changed, and people need to know about this. It's not as easy to go to the UAE on tourist visa. And it never was easy. I guess, I, along with those countless people who tried, were just a little luckier than the rest. But don't do what we have done, because you might end up not being as lucky.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts